Teaching Tip: Filling Classroom Time
Often you may find a need for short activities to fill classroom time. When this occurs, here are some ideas to try. Do not spend more than 10 minutes on any one of the following.
- Review previously learned skills or concepts at the chalkboard.
- Go over homework assignments or tests that you have returned.
- Do some speed math drills.
- Have students do silent reading.
- Play learning games to reinforce skills and concepts.
- Have students construct as many words as possible from a multisyllabic word you write on the chalkboard.
- If you have completed required curriculum work, teach something outside the curriculum that students will find interesting (e.g., basic American Sign Language).