Teaching Tip: Poetry in the Classroom
Poetry is underappreciated by most students. Yet, poetry is a wonderful tool for fostering imagination and creativity. Here are some ideas for bringing poetry into your classroom.
- Read poems aloud to your students.
- Introduce different poetic forms thoughout the year.
- Hold an original poetry contest.
- Have students recite poems from memory.
- Post illustrated poems and pictures of poets.
- Have students create a poem about something they are studying in class.