Teaching Tip: Purposes of Homework
As one teacher put it, "Homework is as American as apple pie." We all had homework as students. We all give homework as teachers. Whenever you give your students homework assignments, be sure that the assignment is consistent with one or more of the following purposes of homework:
- Homework reinforces ideas, concepts and knowledge that you have taught.
- Homework provides students with practice in what they have learned.
- Homework allows students to study a subject in depth.
- Homework allows you to monitor and evaluate students' progress.
- Homework requires students to use organizational skills and time management.
- Homework requires students to be responsible and accountable.
- Homework helps to prepare students for the next school day.
- Homework gets parents involved in their child's learning.
Avoid assignments that do not contribute to learning or are nothing more than "busy work."