Teaching Tip: Tools for Teaching Math
Here are the basic tools that are needed to teach math.
- The chalkboard. Be sure to write clearly and separate different problems.
- The textbook or curriculum. Don't be reluctant to skip pages, rearrange the order in which you teach the material, and supplement it.
- Provide manipulatives so that students can get a concrete sense of concepts. These can include a 100-bead basic abacus, base ten blocks, or cardboard segments for teaching fractions.
- Geometry and measurement tools such as a ruler, compass, protractor, scale, and measuring cups.
- Online math games and graphing software.