Teaching Tip: Relevant Activities
Students often complain that what they are asked to learn in school is not relevant to their lives. To the extent that you can create learning activities that are relevant to your students lives, you will see an increase in your students' motivation.
Here are some ideas.
- Integrate local examples.
- Use important news events.
- Connect what you are teaching with your students' outside interests and social lives.
- Utilize the technology that your students use (e.g., iPods, YouTube videos).
- Relate what you are teaching to real-life issues that your students face.