Teaching Tip: Positive Grading
Grading students work provides an opportunity to enhance their self-esteem. Here are some suggestions.
- Accentuate the positive by showing a score that is the number right rather than the number wrong.
- Grade papers using green ink. Green is a positive color which suggests moving ahead.
- Avoid the use of red ink. Red is a negative color which is typically used to indicate that something is wrong.
- Use a neutral symbol when marking something wrong. Rather than the commonly used "x," use a symbol such as a "/."
- Provide praise comments where appropriate.