Teaching Tip: Teaching Geometry Concepts
Helping students understand geometry concepts should begin well before geometry is studied as a subject. The following ideas for teaching geometry concepts can be used beginning with the upper elementary grades.
- Show students both correct and incorrect examples of a concept. Have students distinguish between correct and incorrect examples.
- Present a concept in different representations. For example, show a geometric shape in different positions, emphasizing that the shape remains constant.
- Have students draw examples of a geometry concept. For example, have them draw a parallelogram.
- Have students provide a definition for a concept. For example, ask students to define a parallelogram.
- Have students use manipulatives and drawings to demonstrate a concept.