Teaching Tip: Team Teaching
Team teaching is when two or more teachers work together to plan, conduct, and evaluate the learning activities for the same group of learners. In traditional team teaching, the team members actively share the instruction of content and skills to all students. For example, one team member may lecture while another team member constructs a concept map at the chalkboard.
Here are some suggestions to make team teaching effective.
- Plan and design the instructional program together. All team members should have a sense of ownership.
- Feed off each other's ideas.
- Always be ready to contribute if another team member is in charge of a particular lesson.
- Use common grading standards.
- Do not use a model in which one team member has responsibility for the first x number of weeks, another for the following x number of weeks, and so on. All team members must bear responsibility throughout.