Teaching Tip: Language Experience Approach
Students with Limited English Proficiency (LEP) spend much of their school day in regular classes. The Language Experience Approach is an effective approach to use with LEP students. Follow these steps to implement the Language Experience Approach.
- Have the student select an experiencesomething he or she would like to write about.
- Have the student dictate a story about the experience to you (or to a teacher aide, volunteer, or another student who is competent in English). Write down the student's story exactly as the student tells it.
- Read the story back to the student, pointing to words with the student reading along.
- Have the student read the story aloud.
- Save the story so that the student can rewrite it as his or her command of English develops.