Teaching Tip: Class Syllabus
A class syllabus is in essence a communication tool. It should communicate to students what a class is about, why it is taught, and what will be required. You can put many things into a class syllabus, but here are the essential things you should include.
- An outline of the topics that will be covered.
- Class goals
- Textbooks, materials, and supplies that will be needed.
- Dates for assignments and exams.
- Any additional requirements such as field trips or group work.
- Grading scale and criteria.
- Policies regarding attendance, lateness, participation, missed exams. late assignments, and cheating.