Teaching Tip: Humorous Political Quotations
Students appreciate humor as a part of their class. While politics is a serious business, some inadvertently humorous things have been said by politicians. Here are some political quotes and their source. Have your students identify what is humorous about each.
- "A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls." Dan Quayle, vice president under President George H.W. Bush.
- "I think we can agree. The past is over." President George W. Bush.
- "We must rise to higher and higher platitudes together." Richard J. Daley, mayor of Chicago.
- "Now we are trying to get unemployment to go up, and I think we're going to succeed." President Ronald Reagan.
- "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." President Bill Clinton.