Teaching Tip: Persausive Essay
Writing a persuasive essay helps students develop critical thinking skills. Here are some things you should teach your students to avoid when they write persuasive essays.
- Be careful in your use of testimonials. Only use sources that are experts on your topic.
- Be careful in your use of extreme terms such as always, never, every, all, and none.
- Don't just jump on the "bandwagon." Something is not necessarily right just because everyone seems to do it.
- Don't play to your readers' emotions. For example, if you are writing in support of capital punishment, it is not appropriate to write "Imagine that a murderer was released from prison and broke into your house to murder your family."
- Don't be too negative when arguing against an opposing position.