Teaching Tip: Where am I?
Here's a fun activity that can pique your students' interest and hone their research skills.
Have your students use reference sources to identify where they are for each of the following clues.
- My spaceship has landed on the only planet in our solar system that rotates clockwise. What planet am I on? (Venus)
- I am in the state in which the first successful oil well gushed in 1859. What state am I in? (Pennsylvania)
- Hope this one isn't too hard. I am in a town named "Difficult." What state am I in? (Tennessee)
- I am in the world's northernmost capital. Where am I? (Reykjavik, Iceland)
- I have to take the subway to get from place to place. Luckily, I am in the city that has the world's largest subway system. Where am I? (Moscow, Russia)
- I am in the city that calls itself the "Birthplace of Aviation." Where am I? (Dayton, Ohio)