Teaching Tip: Making History Interesting
It is surprising how many students find history boring. Here are some suggestions for increasing your students' interest in this important subject.
- Supplement textbooks with books that provide personal accounts of historical events.
- Focus on important individuals in history. Biographies and autobiographies can help your students understand that is is people who make history.
- Have your students read historical novels.
- Where feasible, take your students on field trips to historical sites.
- Have your students role play historical events. This will provide them with a "first-hand" experience.
- Show historical movies such as 'Amadeus' and 'Apollo 13'.
In short, try to make history come alive.