Teaching Tip: Checking Facts
In this age of expanding information, your students may very likely come across "facts" that in fact are not. Given that the Internet has no filter, students must learn to check "facts" before accepting them.
Here are some seeming facts you can have your students use reference sources to check out. Each is not true.
- Ben Franklin's kite was struck by lightning.
- The pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock.
- Carrots improve your night vision.
- Some people don't dream.
- The world's largest pyramid is in Egypt.
- Magellan was the first explorer to circumnavigate the globe.