Teaching Tip: Routine Procedures
There are various procedures that you should establish with your students. Here are some important procedures you should rehearse with your students until they become automatic:
- entering the classroom quietly.
- turning off their cell phones.
- getting to work promptly.
- keeping their desks neat.
- checking out classroom materials.
- coming to attention when prompted.
- changing groups in an orderly manner.
- passing in papers.
- returning to a task after an interruption.
- getting classroom materials without disturbing others.
In addition, you should establish procedures for your students to follow when visitors are in the classroom, when you are out of the classroom, or when you are absent. Also, be certain your students know exactly what to do when there is a fire drill or an emergency.