Teaching Tip: Critical Thinking
It is important for your students to be good critical thinkers. Critical thinking can help your students to avoid making bad decisions, focus on what is most important, and generate new ideas.
You can help your students be good critical thinkers by encouraging them to:
- rely more on reason than emotion.
- recognize their own assumptions and biases.
- judge things on their merit rather than on their popularity.
- be open to the viewpoints, perspectives, and interpretations of others.
- be willing to change their viewpoint when another has more basis.
- recognize when they need to learn more about something.
- always be intellectually curious.
Critical thinking is a skill that will help your students not only in school, but throughout their lives.