The ways in which students view and value themselves can affect their learning. It is important for students to have positive self-esteem. Here are some ways to enhance the self-esteem of your students.
- Provide praise, but only for real accomplishments.
- Establish an accepting atmosphere in which students feel that they are valued.
- Show students concrete evidence of their progress. Comparing previous work with current work is one way of doing this, as are performance graphs.
- Provide students with opportunities to contribute to the classroom and to help others.
- Highlight students' accomplishments. Post exemplary work on the bulletin board and in other places around the classroom.